Here are some resources we know and use:
Palo Alto and Area Bike Maps
- Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition city and regional cycling maps
- Stanford University advice on cycling in, around, and commuting to/from Stanford
- Google Maps cycling advice — in the box at top left, click on the menu symbol, then choose “bicycling” to see local bike routes, or choose “directions”; click on the 3 dots and select the bicycle symbol to find a suggested route
- Safe Routes to School Walk and Roll Maps; suggested walking and riding routes to/from all Palo Alto public schools
- Mike’s Bikes Free Tech Clinic: Tuesdays, 6:00 pm; schedule details
- BicycleTutor.com handy Bicycle Repair Guide
- Silicon Valley Bike Exchange Learn how to fix bikes while rehabilitating bikes for others
- 511 SF Bay: Commute by Bike advice; short, funny, and to-the-point bike safety videos
- City of Palo Alto Safe Routes to Schools program description; see especially comprehensive Education Resources; also Bicycling & Walking program description
- Stanford University, Parking & Transportation Services Bicycle Program general description; Department of Public Safety resource Learn About Bike Safety (handy!)
See this extensive list of area clubs provided by the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition.
- Western Wheelers Bike Club, based in Palo Alto, promotes cycling by offering social events and organized rides of increasing challenge level.
- Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers (formerly ROMP). Promotes mountain bike recreation and works to maintain and improve sustainable trail access in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties.
- Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition seeks a healthy community, environment, and economy through bicycling.
- People for Bikes Coalition organization seeks to build better places for bikes, people to support and ride these places, and general advocacy for safe, accessible, convenient and fun bike rides.
- League of American Bicyclists promotes safer roads, stronger communities, and a bicycle-friendly America; Smart Cycling guide.
Palo Alto Bike Shops
- Mike’s Bikes 4233 W Middlefield, (650) 858-7700
- Bike Connection 2011 El Camino Real, (650) 853-3000
- Palo Alto Bicycles 171 University Ave, (650) 328-7411
- Cardinal Bicycle Shop 1955 El Camino Real, (650) 328-8900
- Campus Bike Shop 459 Lagunita Dr. #12, Stanford, (650) 723-9300
- VeloTech 732 Emerson St, (650) 462-0789
- Summit Bicycles 392 California Ave, (650) 304-0035