Here are some resources we know and use:
Palo Alto and Area Bike Maps
- Bicycling and Walking in Palo Alto: Palo Alto cycling map
- Safe Routes to School Walk and Roll Maps; suggested walking and riding routes to/from all Palo Alto public schools
- Stanford University advice on cycling in, around, and commuting to/from Stanford
- Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition city and regional cycling maps
- Google Maps cycling advice — in the box at top left, click on the menu symbol, then choose “bicycling” to see local bike routes, or choose “directions”; click on the 3 dots and select the bicycle symbol to find a suggested route
- BicycleTutor.com handy Bicycle Repair Guide
- Silicon Valley Bike Exchange Learn how to fix bikes while rehabilitating bikes for others
- 511 SF Bay: Commute by Bike advice; short, funny, and to-the-point bike safety videos
- City of Palo Alto Safe Routes to Schools program description; also Bicycling & Walking program description
- Stanford University, Parking & Transportation Services Bicycle Program general description; Department of Public Safety resource Learn About Bike Safety (handy!)
- Bike Index, a free national database that has reunited over 5,500 stolen bikes with their owners. Many law enforcement agencies, including the Palo Alto Police Department, use Bike Index. Click here or visit BikeIndex.org to register.
See this extensive list of area clubs provided by the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition.
- Western Wheelers Bike Club, based in Palo Alto, promotes cycling by offering social events and organized rides of increasing challenge level.
- Silicon Valley Mountain Bikers (formerly ROMP). Promotes mountain bike recreation and works to maintain and improve sustainable trail access in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties.
- Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition seeks a healthy community, environment, and economy through bicycling.
- People for Bikes Coalition organization seeks to build better places for bikes, people to support and ride these places, and general advocacy for safe, accessible, convenient and fun bike rides.
- League of American Bicyclists promotes safer roads, stronger communities, and a bicycle-friendly America; Smart Cycling guide.
Palo Alto Bike Shops
- Mike’s Bikes 4233 W Middlefield, (650) 858-7700
- Bike Connection 2011 El Camino Real, (650) 853-3000
- Palo Alto Bicycles 171 University Ave, (650) 328-7411
- Cardinal Bicycle Shop 1955 El Camino Real, (650) 328-8900
- Campus Bike Shop 459 Lagunita Dr. #12, Stanford, (650) 723-9300
- VeloTech 732 Emerson St, (650) 462-0789
- Summit Bicycles 392 California Ave, (650) 304-0035